You can speed up your metabolism by reducing toxic overload
When prescription drugs, pollution, stress hormones, sugar, and alcohol, among other things, overload your liver with toxins, it can reduce your metabolic rate as a survival mechanism. Our liver needs a break once in awhile from fighting off all these environmental toxins and the things we put in and on our body.
Balancing your hormones also speed up metabolism
Your thyroid is responsible for controlling the body’s ability to burn fat, normal organ growth and body temperature. It is also the biggest cause of a slow metabolism.
The adrenal glands are also known as your stress glands. They form part of your HPA (hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal) axis, the body’s primary response system when it comes to stress. They aid in balancing your hormones by regulating stress hormones and steroid hormones.
You can support your thyroid and adrenal glands in the following ways:
- Deal with the underlying cause that has led to your hypothyroidism. This includes stress, heavy metals, food allergies and nutritional deficiencies.
- There are foods that negatively affect the physiology of your thyroid, and you should consume them in balanced amounts together with other dark leafy greens of the highest quality. These foods include cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli and similar foods from this family of vegetables.
- You can aid the body in supporting adrenal function and improving lean muscle mass by performing regular moderate exercise, which also improves thyroid function.
- Include foods that are filled with selenium, iodine, zinc, saturated fats and omega-3 fats, among others. Supporting your thyroid by providing your body with optimal nutrient is what these foods do.
- Engaging in activities that take care of yourself and minimizing your levels of physical and mental stress by meditating, hanging out with family and friends, reading and walking, among others, is the best way to support adrenal function. This will ultimately support thyroid function.
Stressing management is an excellent way to support mental health and adrenal function, which can speed up your metabolism
You mental-well being and adrenal function are affected by chronic stress. When it comes to keeping your weight at a healthy level and maintaining your general metabolic state, taking care of them can have a significant positive effect.
The first thing you need to do in order to do this is to find out what stresses you out the most and minimize or get rid of it. Start by recording your stress levels in a journal every day. Rate them based on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being completely relaxed and 10 being so stressed out it hurts just to think. For 1-2 weeks and about 3-4 times daily, check your stress levels. You can even set an alarm to remind yourself when to check them. Use your current environment when rating your stress levels.
Improving your muscle mass in a great way to shift your body into fat burning state
If you want to boost your BMR (basal metabolic rate) or resting metabolic rate, lean muscle mass is what you need. If you did absolutely nothing for 24 hours, the estimated number of calories you would burn is your BMR. For your body to keep functioning you need a certain amount of energy, and your BMR tells you the minimum amount of energy you need.
This all means that if you burn a lot of calories at one time, you need fewer calories to maintain a healthy weight and that improving your muscle mass also improves your BMR. Muscle tissue is what determines your metabolic rate together with your thyroid’s help. When it comes to burning the extra fat in your body, the only tissue that is metabolically active in your body that can help is your muscle.
When your muscle mass improves, your blood sugar also improves and your body is able to enter a fat-burning state.
If you want to increase your exercise levels and not tax your adrenal glands, the two best ways are:
Strength training. This involves exercises like lifting weights. These are important when it comes to preventing the loss of muscle due to aging.
Lifestyle activities. You burn calories with any additional movement that you make; no need to go the gym. Try doing activities that make you move around for a couple of minutes. Increase your level of activity more and more each day. You can track how you are gradually increasing your activity level with fun activity trackers like Fitbit.
There are more simple ways to burn more calories such as parking far away from your office or using the stairs more and more. You can even contribute to your weight loss by simply washing your car, doing chores around the house or gardening.